The RecipePrint this recipe
Your lives are busy….real busy. And you know what? So are ours. July just flew by and here we are, August 1st, and we barely had time to dream up an elaborate recipe for July. So we dug deep into our ‘go-to recipes’ box and found something we’ve been wanting to share for some time. This healthy and delicious Banana Cranberry Oat Muffin recipe is dead simple and the perfect way to use up over ripened bananas.
We originally discovered the recipe on another blog, Homemade Happiness, and since then we’ve made a few adjustments that you’ll certainly love. We cut the sugar in half, added walnuts and blended some whole wheat flour into the mix. A splash of cinnamon adds a little extra pizzazz to the muffins, rounding things out nicely.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup oats
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp of salt
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cranberries
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2½ cups ripened bananas (3-5 bananas)
Preparing the Muffins
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl: flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar.
- In another bowl mash the bananas until they reach a thick and lumpy consistency. The more banana you use the more 'banana bread like' these muffins will be.
- To the mashed bananas add the butter, egg and walnuts.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until just absorbed.
- Add the cranberries and mix until evenly distributed.
Baking the Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375F, with the rack in the middle position.
- Place the muffin batter in a 12 muffin tin pan. We use fancy silicone cupcake liners, but feel free to use the standard paper liners.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the muffin pan once. We've had best luck at the 23 minute mark.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before devouring.